Sunday, 3 June 2007

Motorbike Mayhem

Isn’t it strange how a word or thought suddenly jolts something in your mind which then starts a conversation, this is just what happened last weekend when my mother came to dinner, she asked me if I remembered the day she took me, my sister and best friend Sue to Longleat for the day and how on the way home doing what girls do best were waving furiously at two guys on a motorbike and ended up handing our telephone number and address through the car window much to my mothers disgust

Another ten miles down the road and we had forgotten our little tryst with the motorbike guys and were keen to get home, have some tea and slob in front of the television, we had been doing this for about an hour when the doorbell rang, not expecting visitors and also living above a post office you had to be careful about opening the door, not that we were living in dangerous times and were expecting armed robbers but never the less.

Peering around the counter to see who the visitor might be, my first thought was of a midget alien dressed in leather until shock, horror I realised it was the chap on the motorbike, aghh, he certainly looked different when standing. My first thought was to run an hide and hope that he would go away but unfortunately he had seen me and was waving and beckoning me to the door, what could I do. ‘Hi I’m Richard’ he said stepping across the threshold like an astronaut taking his first steps onto a new planet he certainly looked as though he came from one, ‘Hi I’m Susan you’d better come up’ I blurted out as I ran in front of him to warn the family and beg them to act normally and not laugh but what always happens when you ask people not to laugh they do even if they don’t know why.

Well that was not the last we would see of Richard in fact he plagued me for weeks, wanting me to be his side kick and join him in races at the stadium, he was going to kit me out in leather and we would look like a couple of aliens together, no thanks.

But no matter how rude or harsh I was with him he was as determined to keep me as I was to get rid of him. So one evening he invited me to the stadium and I promised I would only go if my friend Sue could accompany us he reluctantly agreed and attached the sidecar to his bike. I rode pillion, Sue in the sidecar, I have to admit I was quite enjoying the thought of going to the races and started to relax after all I didn’t have to marry him. As I let my mind wander I didn’t see the accident waiting to happen until it was to late, we sailed down Groveland’s Road Richard swerved to the left and Sue and the sidecar went their own way and swerved across the road and landed up outside the Pond House pub, up a wall.

‘Richard’ I yelled and banged him on the back to attract his attention and stop the bike, we both raced to Sue who was thrashing around like a turtle on its back. Together we pulled her out and she was not best pleased. Richard by now had dragged the bike over as was trying to put things back together when I noticed a bus coming along that would take us home, I nudged Sue and off we went, as the bus passed we watched Richard still trying to reattach the sidecar .We laughed our heads off all the way home and it was much better than the races and a God send as I refused to see him again on the grounds that he nearly killed my friend.

No comments: